Thursday, November 5, 2015

In Which Lois Lane Gets Disintegrated and We All Enjoy a Guilty Chuckle



You're not going to believe me, but Superman #215 is yet another imaginary story.  I honestly don't know how readers in the Silver Age kept all this straight.

Then again, they didn't have industry-wide crossover stories for three issues of every year like they do now, so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

But I digress.  Here is one of the most unintentionally hilarious murder scenes ever:


Is it the guy just appearing in the open window (I wonder if he had to raise the blinds first?)?  Is it that Superman is lounging around in his costume?  Is it that he's bothering to read a newspaper when he can just use his super-vision and super-hearing to find out anything that's going on?  Is it the, "Goodbye, Superman, my darling"?  I can't choose!  I won't!

Then things get really weird:



Oh, I'm sorry.  "Robot Mother" wasn't the really weird part.  This is:


And, just in case we were feeling short-changed, here's some Unnecessary Animal Abuse! (tm!)


When "Robot Lois" couldn't cut the mustard for some reason, Superman takes things even further:



Hmmm... I'm thinking that story probably shouldn't ever happen.  There's something completely creepy about farming a new version of your wife.  But it's the Silver Age, so anything goes!  Yeah!

See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

I started buying Superman around #225, which meant I was starting to have money of my own. Can't wait until you catch up. The next time we go to our respective jobs, we should each introduce ourselves as the Dimension Master.

That scene kind of reminded me of that creepy big-headed Burger King standing on some guy's lawn when he opens the curtains.