Thursday, February 5, 2015

How Nora Got Her Groove Back

Today, I used the expression, "You have a bee in your bonnet" and the 20-something person had no idea what I meant.  I'm at an age where pop culture references and colloquialisms that come out of my mouth make no sense to most people under the age of 35.  It's called the calendar... and it's coming for you next.

So, along those lines, let's check out Boy Meets Girl #8 to see what romance was like back in the day:



Well, Jim had some game, didn't he?  But there's a down side to that sort of thing:


Yup.  No woman wants a guy who doesn't have backbone, but Jim needs to loosen the knot on his well-pressed ties.

And then there was this:


Yeah, that's the good old days for you... when women had allowances.


Granted, Don is way overdoing it with the tuxedo, but I think the Marshalls look pretty dressed up as well by today's standards.

Okay, before we leave it, the notion that Don is trying to convince someone he typically wears a tux to dinner is hilarious.


Oh, Nora will take care of it, Don.




The moral of the story is... well, basically, you don't cross swords with Nora.  She'll torch your clothes and make it look like an accident.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Adam, the other day someone on CNN used the phrase "canary in a coal mine". It threw me off and I forgot what she was talking about.

Adam Barnett said...

Ha! Really? I use "canary in a coal mine" when I'm encouraging kids to stay in tough classes. Just look around... if you can point to one person struggling more than you, that's the canary in the coal mine. If that person is toughing it out, so can you :-)

Funny how expressions fall out of use...

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Adam: Oh. I get it now. So I guess my toughing out all these BOY MEETS GIRL comics and me toughing it out is a good thing.

Please please please use that phrase in the court of law. Also maybe "tempest in a teapot" and "Bat-hound in my butt".

Thanks for the explanation, though!

Nathan said...

Maybe kids don't understand the expression "bee in your bonnet" because bees are dying out.