Monday, October 7, 2013

Shut Up, Tim.

Wow, last week was terrible, and I'm not sure the rest of the month will be better.  But unless a day just completely gets away from me, I'll keep up the posts!

From America's Best #17, I'd like to introduce a new CMNS meme we're going to call Shut Up, Tim. (tm!)

It goes like this:


Shut up, Tim. (tm!)

From that same issue, we have this awesome panel where you can see that the letterer had a bit of difficulty with margins:


Wow, can you believe the editor let him get away with that?  He must have been a real pushover.

Um, this looks a little ... er... awkward.

Look, I put the word "indestructible" in bold, and there is no way I'm going to re-do all that dialog.  So you'll print it and you'll like it!

Oh... ok.

Meanwhile, from Pep Comics #25, here's a CMNS Moment... of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!)



This has been a CMNS Moment... of Comic Book Greatness! (tm!)

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Aaron Carine said...

Where was the Terror when he ran into these Japanese agents? In the Pacific Theater or the United States? If he was on the West Coast, any Japanese would have been arrested on sight(I remember an uncomfortable Three Stooges short in which the guys recaptured Nisei escapees from the internment camps).

Buzz said...

I love the new meme. I can totally see it popping up all the time. Especially for comics of yore, when side kicks were almost expected to point out stupid stuff about dangerous situations.

That lettering mistake is pretty intense. I imagine there are a lot of things you could get away with in comics back then, simply because people probably viewed them as a lot more trivial than they do now, but it would seem that clear lettering would be THE prime issue for something meant for kids.

Come to think of it, I would assume that clarity in everything, story, art, coloring, text, would probably be the most important thing. It's ok if the story is stupid, as long as it is easy to understand for a 10 year old...