Thursday, January 3, 2013

Whatever He Prescribes You, DON'T Take It!

So, as you may have noticed from yesterday's post, I've started going through Amazing Spider-Man again.  It's pretty easy to go back to it, because I followed that title pretty closely until I got distracted by the Byrne-era X-Men and the Miller-era Daredevil titles.  Even so, whenever I found an ish in a bargain bin, I couldn't resist picking it up.

Now, I have no idea what's going in Pete's life, and I'm a good twenty years behind in my reading. Especially when I go backwards to find awesome bits of drama like this one from Amazing  #166:


My life is an absolute shambles!  It's coming apart.  My... my...


my CHRISTMAS TREE FELL OVER!  What are we going to do now, Spider-Man?  WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW?

To be fair, Beloved gets disproportionally upset at inanimate objects.  We almost didn't get married because she got her purse caught on a doorknob as she was walking past it.  True story!

Okay, I know it's on purpose here, but look at this from Amazing #167:


The Spider-Slayers are just so dang silly looking when JJJ's face is on them.  I know it's to emphasize how ridiculous the whole thing is, but .... I'm sorry, off to the Costume Hall of Shame (tm!) for any Spider-Slayer design that has JJJ's mug prevalent on it.

Oh, and check out this guy:


Yeah, who is it, Harry?


AIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!! STRANGER DANGER!  STRANGER DANGER!

I would never tell my deepest darkest secrets to anyone with that kind of facial expression.  It may be shallow of me, but I just have this thing that keeps me from relaxing around Satan.


Yeah, have fun.  Let me know how that works out after he slips you a mickey and you wake up chained to a wall of his basement.

Anyone not see it coming that he's an evil guy?  I mean, very few shrinks in comics aren't evil to begin with, but a shrink with that facial hair driving a sports car?  No thanks.

See you tomorrow!


5 comments:

MarvelX42 said...

That would actually make an interesting study. The occupations of villains in comic books. I am sure that some interesting patterns would emerge.

Adam Barnett said...

You know, it would. I'm prepared to guess that "scientist" would be at the top of the list, followed closely by "mental health professional."

Railbus said...

You know it's a different era when a superhero pays a house call to the family of an archenemy to see how they're coping with Christmas when the villain is out on rampage.

Aaron Carine said...

Well, she was actually upset about Stegron kidnapping her son, but I guess the Christmas tree falling over made it worse.

Adam Barnett said...

No doubt! TREE DOWN HERE! WE NEED SOME HELP, WE HAVE A CHRISTMAS TREE DOWN!