Monday, January 28, 2013

The Foolikiller is Looking to Kill Some Fools... So Don't Give Him My Address

Some pretty decent stuff came about in the early 200's of Amazing.  It's mind-blowing to me that these stories are 30 years old... I remember reading them when they first came out, and I certainly know that  I'm not 30 years older...

Anyway, Amazing #222, we had the first appearance of the Speed Demon.  I kind of like the Speed Demon.  But what I don't like is this:


This is what happens when you make comic books by committee.  When Gabe and I crank one out, I'm responsible for putting the balloons on the page as well as the lettering.  I think the artist does it when you work for the big boys, so there are times where characters seem to be communicating telepathically, and there are times (like here) where characters say things out loud they probably shouldn't.

Moving on to Amazing #225:


I am a sucker for the Foolkiller.  For those who don't know, this isn't the original one who gave the Man-Thing troubles back in the day.  This is a successor, who is a little harder to follow when it comes to what constitutes a fool and what does not.  For example, I'm pretty sure that the Foolkiller can't grow like Giant-Man and Spider-Man doesn't have powers like Madrox or Triplicate Girl.  Whoever drew this cover would probably be considered a fool.  Irony, eh?

But he lent himself to some classic goofiness.  Thusly:


See, he would send you a card in the mail warning you to get your affairs in order because he was going to kill you in 24 hours.  In this case, his victim didn't get the card because of slow mail service.  Awesome!  Kudos to Roger Stern.

And, true to form, he later tries to kill everyone in the mail room for their ineptitude.  I tell you, this guy is second only to the Joker in terms of homicidal hilarity.  The Foolkiller mini-series was a pretty good read as well, and I'm sure you can find it on the cheap.

Okay, moving on to Amazing #226.  Remember when Spidey felt sorry for the Black Cat because he thought she was bonkers? Well, I guess we found the one woman in the world capable of duplicitous emotional manipulation.  Thusly:


But Felicia realizes over time that she actually does have a thing for Spidey and tries to woo him.  He, of course, will have none of it until she pays her debt to society.

That is, until there's a chance to hook-up.  Then, as was the case with that dreadful Dawn Starr, Pete thinks with his little web-head instead of his big one:





Okay, just so we're clear... at the very least she was guilty of all the crimes that he brought her down for the first time, as well as assault on the nurse, escape from custody, etc.  

But she is dressed like a cat in a skin-tight costume and furry boots, so I'm not throwing stones.  I appreciate the moral dilemma, I truly do.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Buzz said...

As a kid I always thought it was kind of amazing that heroes as a rule didn't get hanky panky with the evil women in skin tight suits. Or other hero women. In skin tight suits.

And to this day it is still a little odd that all these really sexy dudes and chicks are walking around in skin tight suits and most of the time they either just talk or they fight. A little hard to believe.

And with all that fighting going on, you never hear of a hero or villain crossing the line in the heat of battle.

Anyhow, even though I was mostly a DC guy as a kid, I did have a serious crush on the Black Cat, so way to go Petey!! The evil in her sexy soul only makes it better!

No one tell my wife I said that, ok?

MarvelX42 said...

Cross the line as in killing people? There are Marvel "heroes" that cross that line as a matter of course; Punisher, Wolverine and others that have crossed it; Iron Man and Mockingbird to name just two. Tigra for one has done both of those things killed/tried to kill villians and gotten funky fresh with other heroes. But mainly you just ainta gonna see that kinda thing cause these aren't those kind of comics. You aren't gonna see them getting busy or going to the bathroom.

Adam Barnett said...

Marv, remember when Nightwing was shown clearly sharing a bedchamber with Starfire in The New Teen Titans and everyone went bananas?

MarvelX42 said...

Nope, as my name denotes I am mostly a...you guessed it...Marvel man. Besides I can't Poke'mon comics (collect them all that is). >^_^<