Thursday, September 27, 2012

How about a Little Impromptu Entertainment? Thursday!


Moving on to All-Flash Quarterly #2, we get more insight into Joan Williams:


Don't you dare tell him!  Unless you think he likes me!  Do you think he likes me?  Has he said anything?  What did he say?  Is he looking at me?  Is he looking at me right now?

I don't know that it's really fair to say that Joan "always manages to get herself involved in scrapes that the Flash has to get her out of."  I think we've well established that if they were a little more discreet in their relationship, every mobster in Keystone City wouldn't be sending goons to her house on a regular basis.

Most comic nerdlingers know that when Superman was first introduced, he could jump really high (I have it on good authority that he could "leap tall buildings with a single bound").  They tried to do the same thing with Jay... to a degree:


That just doesn't make sense to me.  I mean, I'm not an aerodynamic engineer or anything, but I just don't see how running really fast would translate into defying gravity.  Any reason we shouldn't call "shenanigans" on that one?

Oh, let's go back one issue for more Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)


The Flash will be happy to help you, but first you've got to do a little something for the Flash...

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

SallyP said...

"Just a little singing and dancing maybe...nothing too complicated. Can you tap dance? I LOVE tap dancing!"

Oh Jay.

Comicsfan said...

Marvel's Quicksilver was even less specific than the Flash, when he found his own power of "flight"--saying that vibrating his legs at top speed allowed him to fly for short distances. I guess that would be like, what, a propeller?

I suppose if I were to tackle this, I'd probably put it in terms of a track athlete in the long jump--building up speed in order to hurl their body a long distance. But actual flight like what the Flash and Quicksilver are talking about is a stretch. (Though in comics, there are characters who actually do stretch, so what do I know.)