Wednesday, April 6, 2011

On Quiz Shows, Vulcans, and Plastic Guns that Hold Your Pencils Wednesday!

Well, here's a little something I didn't know until today.  I'm familiar with the quiz show, Truth or Consequences, insofar as I am aware there was a quiz show called Truth or Consequences.  But I didn't realize how wacky it was:


Wouldn't you watch the heck out of a show like that?  I'm surprised it went over on the radio, since actually seeing these things take place was probably a lot more fun.  And, FYI, while the show debuted on NBC Radio in 1940, it would be on television 10 years later.  And it would be the first daily game show that succeeded in syndication (as in, it did well after it left the network for twelve years).  There was an attempt to revive the show in 1987 that completely slipped past me.  It also marked the debut of Bob Barker in 1956, who would later go on to host The Price is Right and get into fistfights with Adam Sandler on Happy Gilmore.  

And even more awesome is that the town of Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, actually named itself after the show!  Yup.  For the tv show's tenth anniversary in 1950, Ralph Edwards there dared a town to name itself "Truth or Consequences," and Hot Springs, New Mexico, took the dare!  Nifty stuff!

See?  We learnt ourselves something today.  Don't let people tell you this site is a total waste of time!

And in the spirit of that, check out Lois Lane's hat!:


Lois, that is quite the large purple chapeau you're working there.  And you look a lot like a Vulcan.

Here's Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan:

  

She made it work.  I always like Kirstie Alley.

Oh, and here's some social programming for you, circa 1948:


Girls carry purses, boys carry guns.  That's how we roll.

And I'm not judging here.  I don't know about you gals, but I would have been all over a pencil box shaped like a firearm.  All. Over. It. 

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unca Jeffy said...

Good stuff as always, but I have bad news for you. I tell my friends about cool stuff all the time (like your Truth or Consequences info)...they still say I've wasted their time.

Philistines, I say!

Adam Barnett said...

Yeah, I know people are like, "Just shaddap and put up the funny panels," but when I find out stuff that interests me, I put it on.... more for my own future reference than anything else. :-)