Monday, November 22, 2010

Your Arguments are Lengthy and Invalid Monday!

I don't mind telling you, these last couple of weeks have been cleaning my clock. Thank goodness Robert Gillis came to the rescue!

Here's something that's "quite logical" from Superman Annual #2:


Except, of course, that it isn't even slightly logical, even for Bizarro-logic.

But if you need details, Supergirl is here for you, from Adventure #383:


Wait.  What?  

What in the world did she just say?

Never mind.  It's more trouble than I'm sure it's worth.

Well, let's try a short explanation again, from Adventure #333:


I researched this, and I can't find any source that says suns change color, ever.  A sun might appear orange when it sets, but that's only because our perspective of the sun has changed.

This is what happens when you chalk everything up to something's color.  It never stands the test of logic, even by comic-book standards.

My head hurts.  Let's check out the worst criminal mastermind ever, from Lois Lane #17:


Okay, did you catch that?  The genius got rid of critical evidence by tearing the piece of paper up and throwing it in his waste basket.  THAT, my friends, is someone who is just felony lazy.

Thanks again, Robert!  

See you Tuesday!

13 comments:

Britt Reid said...

"I researched this, and I can't find any source that says suns change color, ever."

Then you've obviously never been to NASA's website...
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/teachers/lessons/xray_spectra/background-lifecycles.html

Most stars turn red (and REALLY big) at the END of their life-cycles, not the beginning.
This was basic science even in the 1960s!

What science were they teaching in Argo City High School?
No wonder nobody on Krypton believed Jor-El!

D.B. Echo said...

Ummm, what Britt said. And her source might be an eensy bit more authoratative and reliable than what I was going to cite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

Britt Reid said...

Her??
HER???
I will have you know, D.B., that I am among the most manly of men!
Here, I'll prove it!
See this phonebook?
Watch as I rip it in half with my bare (yet manly) hands...
RRRIIIPPP!
Want to see me do it again?

Steve W. said...

The scary thing is I read that Supergirl story a couple of years ago and understood every word of that explanation. Now it just seems incomprehensible.

MarvelX42 said...

Well the sun was red in the past because of antitime, you see when you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow the Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator becomes active which in turn creates a sandilniflic transducement in the fabric of space-time.........

Britt Reid said...

"Where's the KA-BOOM?
There was supposed to be an earth shattering KA-BOOM!"

Justin Garrett Blum said...

That Supergirl page is literally the most complicated thing I've ever read in a comic book.

Also, I don't know a lot about the law, but would that evidence really be admissible in court? Doesn't that constitute illegal search and seizure?

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

So Mon-El was saying that Kryptonians, and their animals, wouldn't have powers? Why bring up animals?

Britt Reid said...

"So Mon-El was saying that Kryptonians, and their animals, wouldn't have powers? Why bring up animals?"

Actually, it's Kal-El, not Mon-El.
And, he's just pointing out that ANY Krytonian life-forms (including Krypto) would be powerless under a red sun.

Paul said...

I think the strangest part is that Lois is talking to Lyndon Johnson.

MarvelX42 said...

I take it that by that Lois Lane page there that Superman was responsible for the power outage? Did he knock out the power to just that building or a whole block or what? Just curious. Hope there was no hospital in the area that lost power. Someone could have died. Am I just way off topic here? :-/

La Belle Esplanade said...

There are almost as many colors of suns as there are of Kryptonite. It's a proven astronomical fact.

MarvelX42 said...

Almost got an "upskirt" of Supergirl there too.