Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bat-Bickering Wednesday!

Ok, it was an idle threat. I couldn't make it through all twelve issues of U.S.1. No one could. I'm just one man, dang it!

So, let's cleanse our palates with a two-day look at World's Finest v.1 #4! Today, we'll check out all the goodness from the Batman story:



This is probably the most realistic dialogue I've seen between Bats and Robin in some time.

Get it in gear, Robin!

I'm trying, Batman! You don't have to raise your voice at me!

I wouldn't have to raise my voice if you'd do things right the first time!

I hate you! You aren't my real dad!

And as always, things escalate:

You can tell Bats was ready to lay one upside Robin's head for some time now.

But then, with his (ahem!) young ward out of the way, another man came forward with a questionable proposal:

Well, I don't know... I mean, Robin and I aren't really through... We're just taking a break right now and.... oh, that isn't what you meant? My apologies.

And, just in case things weren't getting suspicious enough, here's a shot of Robin charming Batman's snake while he lies in bed:

Hey, I'm not responsible for how you take these things! I just call it like it is.

And then Batman rode a horse:

Mind you, this was the same horse that was trying to kill Robin a couple of panels earlier, so it wasn't like a pony ride at the petting zoo. The only reason Bats was on the horse at all was to save Robin, who was now finding the humor in the situation.

Frankly, I'm surprised Batman didn't smack Robin more often.

See you tomorrow!

5 comments:

FoldedSoup said...

Sorry, Robin... But this is one Goddamn fight I want you out of!"

*Smack!*


Couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post- disturbing/funny out-of context Batman/Robin panels always work. The one with the snake is freaky.

But mainly I want to express gratitude for ditching "U.S.1" as an in-depth topic. It's just too awful. My eyes and brain rebel.

SallyP said...

I...I...I hardly know what to say, except that this may be the greatest comic ever created!

Or at least better than U.S. 1!

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for dropping the truck thing!

And to combine "American Pie" along with the recent "Batman and Robin" by Frank Miller

Batman: "Say my name!"
Robin: "The Goddamned Batman! The Goddamned Batman!"

batman and Robin. Not gay at all. Nope, never, uh-uh.

Anonymous said...

Who hasn't wanted to whop Robin upside the head at one point or another?