Thursday, June 12, 2008

From Deep in the Vault Thursday!

More goodies from the awesome All-Star Comics #1 (1941)!


Check out what they used to sell you in comics. Yup, a pistol that fired blanks. You know, blanks. Harmless blanks. Like the kind that killed Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum. The perfect toy for a seven year-old boy.
__________________________________


The Flash's "Speed of Tongue" power also made him very popular with the ladies...
__________________________________


Well, Officer Donut, what say you go in through the open window you just mentioned. It's not such a brain-teaser if you pause for a moment, is it?
___________________________________




This is the one and only time I've ever seen a costumed vigilante worried about acting in an official law-enforcement capacity. On the one hand, I admire Jay's desire to play by the rules. On the other hand, I don't think physically coercing the police chief into deputizing him is being that great of an example, either. 1941 was truly a complicated time that we just can't understand these days.

Wow... that comic was awesome.

6 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

>>The Flash's "Speed of Tongue" power also made him very popular with the ladies...<<

Thanks for making me choke on my tea, Adam. ;-)

De said...

Let me get this straight: the police commissioner was wearing the uniform under his suit? No wonder he was so cranky.

Scott said...

"Stop it! Stop it! You're driving me nuts!" As silly as it seems that the Commissioner would give in to someone racing around him in a blur of motion, I have firsthand experience that this works when my 4-year old daughter does this to me. Wimp!

SallyP said...

Oh...Jay! You silver-tongued devil you.

Anonymous said...

My goodness... Flash was quite an idiot. And I thought Super Boy was dumb!

Anton Sherwood said...

Starters' pistols, I believe, have no barrel opening; maybe this toy is like that. Also – while it's true that a blank killed Hexum, in Lee's case apparently it was a piece of a dummy bullet left in the barrel when the blank was fired.