Monday, April 28, 2008

Time Out to Build Character Tuesday!

Alright, you ne'er do wells! You partied all day with the Legion, so now it's time to show a little civic responsibility! "But how?" you ask?


Why, by becoming one of "Robin's Regulars" of course. Now, when I first heard that name, I thought it was referring to one's dietary fiber intake (when you get old like me, those sort of things take on a new importance). But, no!

Apparently, it refers to a willingness to beat the crap out of guys to prove some kind of point:


Now, mind you, the story was flowing in a completely different direction up to this point regarding a jewel heist. Batman, for some reason, decides to interrupt everything not just to defeat the evil plans of criminals, but to humiliate them with an industrial size can of whoop-ass.


I'm not sure what this proved, to tell you the truth. I mean, I agree that kids tend to idolize the wrong people, like egomaniacal professional athletes and rap "musicians." But I'm not sure how beating the snot out them establishes a moral superiority.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pay cash money to see Kanye West get smacked around. I'm just not convinced it would prove anything.

It was very rare of Bats to break the fourth wall though, don't you think? At least, not unless he was trying to get me to buy Hostess Fruit Pies....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Industriousness and Nationalism? Sounds all very Stalin-esque to me.
And why exactly was Batman there? He got bored of his case so he went to chill on his yacht? (with the bubbly on ice and the honey's waiting no doubt!)

Comixbear said...

What it really proves here was that Batman knows how to get the crap beat out of all the kids in the world, so that they would have to relax in bed to recouperate and read his comics!

http://comixbearbarecomix.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

"We'll knook the kid silly"... I'm not sure what he was going to do and I'm glad we didn't get to find out!
TomG

De said...

Was this the sort of stuff Frederic Wertham was talking about in Seduction of the Innocent?

Anonymous said...

Hey, you know what? I steer clear of bears. Why? Mainly because they can maul the living hell out of me. Of course, a gun would help to even the odds.... does that make me "yellow"? Well, so be it.

As far as I'm concerned, all he really proved is that these thugs aren't black belts.

And I thought "Nationalism" was kind of an odd addition, too. But then, what other "N" words could you slot in there? Nicety? Non-nefariousness? Never forget your frock?

SallyP said...

I do believe that I have had a huge flash of inspiration, due entirely to this subject. NOW I know why criminals are afraid of Batman! It's not necessarily because of anything that HE does, it's because of the humiliation of being beaten to a pulp by a little boy.

Oh the humanity.

Sea-of-Green said...

"Nationalism" is bad enough, but "Obedience?" That's right -- we've all known for a long time that kid sidekicks are actually the Golden Retrievers of the superhero universe!

Gildas said...

Yeah,there is something jarring about "nationalism" being in there. "Remember,children,the magic words are please,thank you,and KILL THE COMMIES!"

Anonymous said...

You forgor to mention that Light Lass is only wearing her panties.